Apprenticeships, traineeships and supported internships


Employment and volunteering

Further help


Apprenticeships, traineeships and supported internships

Do I have to go to college as part of my apprenticeship? 

Apprenticeship don't always require the apprentice to attend a college. Some allow all of the learning to take place in the work place. It is important to choose an apprenticeship that is not only the desired job but also offers the preferred way of learning.

What if I can't find an apprenticeship near me that interests me?

New apprenticeship vacancies are added to the Find an Apprenticeship service throughout the year so it is important to check regularly. It may also be helpful to contact local training providers that offer training in the industry you are interested in as they will have links with local employers. The Association of Learning Providers in Surrey can help you find an appropriate training provider.

 If you are already working then you might want to discuss with your employer the possibility of developing your role into an apprenticeship.

Can I apply for an Apprenticeship if I am 15?

It is possible to apply for an Apprenticeship during your GCSE year providing you will have turned 16 and have finished school when you start the Apprenticeship. Apprenticeship application forms will ask for your National Insurance Number which you will receive between the ages of 15 years 9 months and 15 years 11 months. If you are applying for an Apprenticeship and have not yet received a National Insurance Number as you are too young then this should not affect your application as it is only once you are enrolled on to the Apprenticeship that the number is required.



Do I have to stay on at school or go to college when I've finished Year 11?

From September 2015 all young people will have to participate in education or training until they are 18. However, this does not mean you have to stay on at school. The options are:

  • full-time education (known as a study programme) at a college, school or with a training provider
  • an apprenticeship, traineeship or supported internship
  • full-time employment or volunteering (of 20 hours or more per week) combined with accredited part-time education or training.

If you are not participating in education, training or employment, Surrey's Youth Support Service can help!

Do I have to keep studying English and maths?

Full time students starting a study programme who have not already achieved a GCSE grade A*-C (new GCSE grade 9-4) in English and maths must continue to work towards these. Those who have achieved a grade D (new GCSE grade 3) or equivalent must be enrolled on a GCSE qualification. Those who have not achieved GCSE grade D (new GCSE grade 3) will be enrolled on to a functional skills qualification at an appropriate level or an alternative stepping stone qualification.

Do I need A levels to get in to university?

A levels are not the only route to university. Vocational qualifications and apprenticeships also offer routes to higher education. You can even do degree level apprenticeships!

Last year 26% of students secured a place in higher education with a BTEC.

Is there support for disabled students in progressing to higher education?

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability. The support you get depends on your individual needs and not income.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) has has more information on eligibility and how to apply.

Can I progress from AS levels to A levels?

From September 2015, AS level results will no longer count towards an A level qualification. They will be separate, stand-alone qualifications.

Can I change courses or start a course when I am 17?

Students wanting to change courses after their first year or those starting a two year course when they turn 17 may find it difficult to get a place on a new course. This is because there is less funding available for young people over 18 years old on a study programme.


Employment and volunteering

Does self-employment count as participating?

You can be self-employed and still count as participating, as long as you are doing part-time accredited education or training as well.


Further help

I have recently moved to the UK. How do I find out what the UK equivalents are of the qualifications I have already gained?

With regards to finding out what level your qualifications equate to, you may wish to contact the National Recognition Information Centre  (NARIC) NARIC can offer advice, information and opinion on vocational and academic   qualifications from around the world.

I am not in education, employment or training. Is there any help available?

The Surrey Family Service provide tailored support to enable young people aged 16 to 18 to identify a suitable opportunity to  progress to education, employment or training.

Is there any help available for transport to education or training?

For those attending full-time education, information about transport schemes available to Surrey students for travel to education providers, including the Student Fare Card (offering reduced rate travel on buses and trains) can be found in the Transport Policy Statement.

There are currently no concessionary schemes for apprenticeships or supported internships.

Can I get any financial support for education-related costs?

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and:

  • studying at school or college (not university) in England
  • on a training course, including unpaid work experience

 There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursary:

  • Vulnerable student bursary - You could get a bursary worth up to £1,200 if you’re in or recently left local authority care, you get Income Support (or Universal Credit in place of Income Support) in your name or you’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (or Universal Credit in place of ESA), and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name.
  • Discretionary bursary - Education and training providers set their own criteria for discretionary bursaries, eg they might look at family income. Ask student services about their criteria and any evidence you’ll need.

For more, visit 16 to 19 Bursary Fund at

Where can I access face to face careers advice?

The local authority is unable to provide face to face careers advice. If you are at school or college then you should be able to access careers advice via your institution. Alternatively the National Careers Service offers careers advice via email, webchat or phone. They also offer face to face careers advice however this is only for those aged 19+. For more information please visit

I don't know what qualifications I have achieved to date

If you don't know what qualifications you have achieved to date, you can request access to your personal learning record by completing a 'My Personal Learning Record' form on the website.