SEND - Education, employment and training


SEND - Social Care


SEND - Education, employment and training

How will my child's progress be monitored?

Young people with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) will have an annual review which will monitor their progress towards agreed outcomes.

Is there any additional support for my child to access higher education if they have a disability?

Higher education students living in England can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) if they have a disability. The support provided depends on individual needs and not income. For more information on eligibility and how to apply see DSA guidance at


SEND - Social Care

At what age can we approach Social Care for support?

Referrals can be made to the Transition Social Care Team as early as 14 years old. They may not actively start working with families until the young person turns 17, but they will keep a record of the referral and the team can then anticipate the level and type of support that may be needed.

Is my son/daughter eligible for support from Social Care?

If your son/daughter is currently supported by Children’s Social Care then they will more than likely be eligible for Adult Social Care Support. If your child is not supported by Children’s Social Care, you can fill out a referral form with details of their learning difficulties and you will be contacted by Social Care for an assessment to take place.

How long does the referral process take?

The referral and assessment process can take anything from a few weeks to a few months. Each referral is considered on a case by case basis and those young people with a higher level of need may be prioritised at times when there is a high case volume. If you have  concerns about how long your referral and assessment is taking it is best to speak directly to your social worker.

What kind of activities can Social Care packages include?

Social Care packages can include the following activities:

  • Supported employment
  • Volunteering
  • Day Centres
  • Supported Living
  • Travel training/support
  • Education
  • 1-1 personal assistant support
  • Support accessing recreational activities

Can Social Care packages include an education element?

Of course! If a local FE College provider can offer a suitable course, a social care package can build a package of support around attending college and help prepare young people for moving into adulthood.

What age will Social Care support my child until?

The Transition Social Care Team can support young people until the age of 25 if necessary. They will then refer the young person to Adult Social Care if there is still a need for support.