The Careers Explorer is a great tool that enables you to access local labour market information and search for local courses, apprenticeships and job vacancies.
To get started, simply start searching below, or take a look at our 'How to use the tool' section.
- Explore different careers/occupations:To access this function, ensure that the 'careers' option at the top of the page is checked and then type in to the search function the industry or job type you are interested in. This will bring up a list of related options. Click on the option you are interested in and it will bring up information about estimated weekly pay in the south east, the number of jobs available locally within the industry and predicted future employment levels. You can download this information as a PDF by clicking on the 'PDF Download' link on the left hand side of the page. You can also find out what the career involves and the qualifications required by clicking on the 'Requirements' link on the left hand side of the page.
- Search for local courses: To search for local courses, ensure the 'courses' option at the top of the page is checked and then type in to the search function the course that you are interested in. This will bring up a list of courses available locally. Click on the course you are interested in and this will bring up further information including entry requirements and course dates. By clicking on the 'More Details' button at the bottom of the page, you will be taken to the provider's website.
- Search for local apprenticeships: To search for local apprenticeships, ensure the 'apprenticeships' option at the top of the page is checked and type in to the search function the type of apprenticeship you are interested in. Use the 'Location' function on the right hand side of the page to specify the town or city in which you are looking for an apprenticeship. If there are apprenticeships available in the industry and area you are looking for then they will appear as a list. You can click on each one for more information and to apply.
- Search for local vacancies: To search for local job vacancies, ensure the 'vacancies' option at the top of the page is checked and type in to the search function the type of vacancy you are looking for. Use the 'Location' function on the right hand side of the page to specify the town in which you are looking for a job. You can also specify other parameters such as 'Distance', 'Salary' and 'Job Type'. If there are vacancies that meet your requirements then these will appear as a list. You can click on each one for more information and to apply.
- Grey boxes: If you have an idea of the occupation you are interested in you can use the careers search box provided and a wide array of results will be returned with a description of each occupation. If you're not sure where to start, there are three suggestion boxes: Jobs, Industry and Groups:
- Jobs - lists the top 10 occupations in Surrey.
- Industry - lists the industries with the most people employed in the South East. By selecting one, occupations within that industry are displayed.
- Groups - lists the occupation groups and when one is selected, it then displays all of the occupations within the group providing a comprehensive array of suggestions.